Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tasting Kitchen

I went to the Tasting Kitchen with Brian a few weeks ago (before I started this blog), but this place definitely deserves a post. It's seriously good. So seriously good that you should seriously go make a reservation like now.


First of all, it's in Venice on Abbot Kinney, and we all know how I feel about Venice.

Second of all, it was on Joanna's list of places she went when she visited L.A.  And I love Joanna, whether or not she knows it.

Third of all, it's got that whole trendy-but-not-stuffy vibe to it - my favorite of all restaurant vibes - complete with simple decor, dim candle lighting, and of course, trees growing inside.  Also a favorite of mine.


And most importantly, the food is damn good.  Since Brian and I eat everything (and eagerly), and we were feeling especially celebratory, we decided to let the waiter choose for us.  So we asked him to bring us what he thought was the best appetizer, the best pasta, the best entree, and the best dessert.  Best.  Decision.  Ever.

We started out with an appetizer of prosciutto and mozz (burrata if you prefer).  Now, Brian and I are experienced in the worlds of both prosciuttos and mozzes, having spent a few months living in Florence (in Brian's case, right next to the Mercato Centrale), and having consumed countless prosciutto panini while there.  We even had a cheese guy and a meat guy.  Our meat guy one time gave us bowls as a present.  That happened. 

Either way, this mozz and prosciutto was the best we'd had in the States.  So good that we asked where it came from, and our (awesome) server came back with the sources scribbled on a scrap of paper.  Not like I would actually order my prosciutto from Iowa, but it was a nice gesture anyway. 

Then we had the bucatini alla amatriciana.  Long tubes of pasta with a sauce and panchetta.  Hefty, salty, savory.  Just how I like my pasta.  Then the heavier start was perfectly balanced by the whole Branzino we had as our entree. Soft, mild and buttery.  Our server's choices were spot on.


Bottom line: Take your date here.  Now.  It's not going to blow your mind with crazy flavor combinations, but it will serve up solid Italian cuisine in a trendy/romantic California atmosphere.  And the servers are knowledgable and helpful.  This is a damn good date place.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I want to go here so badly! Good post because it makes me hungry and want to dress up and good here all at the same time! Especially the trees inside!!