Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes and Tsunamis

I was going to post pictures from the SF --> LA drive I did yesterday, but right now, I can't stop watching the footage on the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Can you believe there is a tsunami warning all the way here in LA?

I might be a little paranoid (I am the daughter of two structural engineers after all), but watching this footage, I can't escape the ominous feeling that California is next. So what to do? The city of San Francisco publishes earthquake preparedness tips here, but the real preparedness comes long before the earthquake in how we build our homes, offices, bridges and highways. So hire an engineer, k?

My heart goes out to our neighbors in Japan who are going through that terrifying event. As Obama just said in a press conference (politics aside, please): "Ultimately, humanity is one."

No comments: